Monday February 21st, around 4 o' clock Texas time, Parker Banks was set apart as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to serve for two years in Tallahassee Florida, speaking English. We had the chance to talk Monday morning before he left, and it was the most bitter sweet experience I think I have ever had in my life. Closest to saying goodbye to my family in the middle of summer before coming to school here in Idaho. Obviously there were some tears, but mostly I felt so proud of the fact that he is serving willingly and excitedly. He entered the MTC today, February 23rd in early afternoon, and will only be there for 3 weeks. It will only go uphill from there :)
I know blessings come to those who know missionaries, and especially to their families. I don't feel like I should have any claim on blessings from the fact that Parker is not a missionary, but I have already felt them come as these last couple of days have gone by.
Being midterm week, it always feels like there is a scarcity for time compared to the amount of work that has to get done. But, (1.) as I checked to see if I had to get up early in the morning do math homework for the next day (and mind you, this is late at night when I've already had to say goodbye to the sweetest boy ever, and am a little emotionally wracked=in need of sleep), I had already done it four days earlier, when I thought it was due then! Blessing in my mind? YES. (2.) I realized around 8:30 Tuesday night that I need a light table to finish my exterior of the house I was working on, which was due the next morning. This meant, going to the Clarke building and seeing how late I would have to stay there to work on it. When I felt like time was flying by and I would have to stay there later than I had hoped, I look up at the clock and only an hour has passed and I'm more than halfway done. That was a miracle to me. (3.) Because of my facebook status I posted the last day I talked to Parker, people left comments that were so kind and comforting. I wasn't expecting much, but was thankfully surprised when I read what people had to say. So, that was always a boost to look at when I needed it. (4.) Time, again today, I felt like I had so much to do with so little time, and with the extra class at 6:45pm, without having even started my drafting worksheets, I was sure I would have to get a zero because I wouldn't have time to get them done. Due at midnight, I had them completely done and turned in by 11:58. No doubt that was a blessing. (5.) On my way back from my 12:45 class, I ran into Kelly Stanley, who I usually never do on my way home from that class. She was talking on the phone to her mom, and I was talking to my mom, but we both hung up and chatted with each other for a few minutes. The night before, on her facebook picture challenge, she had put up a picture of us together and titled it, "someone I can't imagine living without." Huge compliment from a sincere friend whom I love! I was grateful to be able to thank her in person when I ran into her. (6.) When uploading a book I had to send to blurb by tonight, I had no problems and there were no errors. My friend who was doing the exact same thing, had errors come up, had to switch the file format to a flash drive and try it on someone else's computer, had to find missing links, basically, she was frustrated. I don't know if I could've taken the extra frustration and I know that my Heavenly Father was giving me a tender mercy there. (7.) Walking home from the Clarke tonight, I just felt so inspired to give a prayer of thanks as well as a blessing on Parker's family and himself, as this is his first night in the MTC, and his mom's first time dropping off a missionary. The roads were unusually quiet, usually cars are pulling out and people in dorms are making noise, but it really just felt peaceful for once. With that quiet moment to ponder and pray, I knew that was a blessing. (8.) Feeling extremely hungry when I got home from the extra class that lasted till 8:45, and not having eaten since 2, my roommate told me there was no more sauce for the pasta, so I would just have to put butter on it. Not exactly what I was looking forward to. Somehow, I was able to scrape the pan and serving spoon enough and stretch the sauce to make my dinner delicious and filling. Yum. (9.) After submitting worksheets by 11:58, there was a knock at our door. On our doorstep was a letter and white rose, left right outside. And who's name was on the envelope? Emily Marquez, written in green none the less (my favorite color). And a white rose! The letter was anonymous, but the message was so beautiful. "God be with you Emily, and I hope you enjoy the flower," were the closing words. Even though I wasn't having an emotional breakdown like the night of first not talking to him, and I had finished what I needed to and was feeling a lot better, that was just an extra nudge telling me I am loved and being looked out for. Who did it? I have a hunch it was my FHE brothers :) They are sweet boys.
Did I mention that from 4 on all happened today? And those are just the "big" blessings I can count. Other things like a compliment on my coat, a compliment on my hair, staying awake in devotional yesterday, finding time to relax in the midst of finishing a billion things, are some others from off the top of my head.
Today has been the biggest testimony builder to me, of the power of prayer and the tender mercies of the Lord, which I like to call miracles and blessings. I can't help but wonder if it's because a worthy young man, who I was able to get to know over the past 6 months, is now a full-time missionary and has the power to receive and share blessings beyond what is "normal." Or is it just now that I am realizing the hand of the Lord more frequently in my day to day life because of these major events that have all happened at once? All I know, is that the source of these blessings is Heavenly Father. He loves me and is constantly watching over me, looking for any way to tell me through angels on Earth, and feelings from above, that I am not alone, but in fact, very deeply loved <3
Thank you will never be words enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment